Italian Beef Heating Instructions
Step #1: Beef must be received at 40 degrees or less.
Step #2: Gravy comes with spice block. Do not discard this block. Spice block gives the gravy its flavor.
Step #3: Heat gravy and sweet peppers on the stovetop with a medium heat. Bake bread at 450° for 5 minutes in the oven.
Step #4: Flake beef and add to gravy in small amounts after gravy reaches a 180 degree temperature.
Step #5: Transfer heated gravy and beef to a warmed crockpot and begin making sandwiches.
Hotdog Heating Instructions
Are you ready to try Chicago's best hotdog?
A "Portillo's" Chicago style hot dog is a "natural skin on" all beef hot dog served in a steamed poppy seed bun loaded with mustard, relish, onions, tomatoes, kosher pickle spear, sport peppers and Portillo's own seasoning salt.
To prepare this delicacy follow these simple steps:
- Put on the supplied Authentic Portillo's crew hat.
- Heat the hot dogs
- Fill a 4-quart pot with one and a half quarts of water (48 ounces).
- Bring the water to a boil, turn the water down until it stops boiling, or a slight simmer. (DO NOT COOK HOT DOGS IN BOILING WATER)
- Place desired number of hot dogs into water and cook uncovered for 20 minutes. This is one of the critical steps to get the genuine Portillo's flavor.
- While hot dogs are cooking prepare the condiments.
- Wash thoroughly.
- With a sharp or serrated knife cut tomatoes in half through the core.
- Cut the core out.
- Slice tomatoes into ¼ inch slices, approximately 6 slices per half.
- Peel onion
- Chop onion coarsely, approximately ¼ inch by ¼ inch pieces.
- Cut pickle in half lengthwise.
- Cut each half into 2-3 slices lengthwise. (Remember you need 10 pieces out of 2 pickles)
- Steam the hot dog buns
- Do not steam buns until hot dogs have cooked for 20 minutes.
- Place package of hot dog buns into a microwave, if fewer buns are desired put them into plastic bag and loosely close bag.
- Heat buns on high for 2 to 2 ½ minutes. (If fewer buns are desired heat for 45-60 seconds)
- Be cautious when opening, escaping steam and hot dog buns will be extremely hot.
- Assemble the Hot dogs in Genuine Portillo's style.
- Carefully open steamed bun completely.
- Place hot dog into bun with ends curling up.
- Top with desired condiments in the following order; Mustard, Relish, Onion, Tomato slices, Portillo's Seasoning salt (one shake per slice), Pickle spear and Sport Peppers.